Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Another trip around the sun.

Another year has gone by for me...Maybe I should change the title of my blog.   This gives me an opportunity to reflect back on the past year, and it has really been a pretty big one.  One year ago, I was trying to decide what I should do once I was finally retired from the Coast Guard in the fall. The options that presented were to use my G.I. Bill that I had worked the previous 20 years for, or I had the opportunity to take a job which really would have paid pretty well.  I could also pass the G.I. Bill benefits along to my children (at least in theory). When I really dug down, I came to the realization that doing the work that was offered to me was not what I really wanted to do for the remainder of my life.

I came to the realization that if I did not commit to school now, I would likely never follow through and complete my degree.  Sure I may take some classes here and there, but doing so while working full-time can make it a really difficult process.  I had the opportunity, all I had to do was commit to it.  So by March I had applied for admission and began gathering all of my transcripts for school.  By May, all of my transcripts were in and I was accepted into the school.  June was my retirement ceremony from the Coast Guard.  July, orientation at the school.  I was registered and had another month before my classes started.

At the end of July, my brother-in-law decided to do another type of challenge.  We packed our bikes and tent and headed out to Colorado to climb a mountain.  Two guys from Florida and Alabama coastal flat land headed to climb a 14000+ foot mountain, and what a trip it was.  We drove out (24hrs straight through), set up camp, and spent the next day trying to get acclimated to the higher elevation.  We did a 21-mile bike ride to get the blood flowing, then the next day we headed to the mountain to make our way up.  We started at 7 in the morning, and began our trek up the mountain.  We were not the fastest going up the mountain, and we were continually passed by people young and old headed up the same mountain, most were locals.  There were even a few that were running up the mountain.  Some would burn out or get altitude sickness and have to head back down.  My brother-in-law and I could only look at each other and shake our heads.  After 5 hours of hiking, we finally reached the summit (14,270 feet; Grays Peak) at noon.  All I can say is it was worth the 40 plus years and many footsteps it took to reach the top and see everything from a different perspective that most have not seen.  

August brought the start of classes, what an experience.  It had been 23 years since I was in a full time class schedule, mostly wasting my time.  Now, I was there ready to appreciate the education experience.  It was exciting being part of a growing school.  The University of South Alabama has been around since the early 60's but has really seen a surge in growth over the last few years.  I am not a huge sports fan, but the university has started a football program with last fall being the second full season in play, the important part is we have a team that has played 2 undefeated seasons.  The campus is growing by leaps and bounds and I can only think I am too.  I was able to finish the first semester on the President's List, so all in all it was a great year.

I think about my trip to Colorado, and how it represents much of what my last year has been.  I made a plan, and chose to stick with it.  Sometimes it goes slower than you want it to.  Sometimes you feel like turning around and heading home, but you have to remind yourself what you came there for in the first place.  The view from the top cannot be beat.

1 comment: